Skip to main content

Week 3 Blog Forum TOPIC 2: PERSUASIVE TECHNIQUES

           "Drive sober or get pulled over" adds have failed 
Every year we hear an add that comes on the radio that says "don't drink and drive." It says you'll get pulled over and a DUI. It also says that cops are out on the look out during this holiday. One just happened before the forth of July. We hear it on the radio for every holiday that happens in Oregon. I pick this one as a DUD because it is obviously not working. I believe ODOT is the one who advertises it, and they need to do something about it because it's just not working.
Every year I hear the same message over and over again. I typically avoid the roads during this time, but I am not sure if it is because of the add.

This add isn't working, and here is why I think so. This is a message that I hear every year, and drunk drivers are still getting on the road. This message has failed. They need to change their add, or do something where people actually will care.

https://patch.com/oregon/across-or/dont-drink-drive-4th-odot


The target audience are people who like to get drunk on holidays. They are the people who put others in harms way because they want to make the choice of driving while they are intoxicated. They are the ones who would rather drive home instead of calling a cab.

This is a problem that we have seen time over time.
(Here are a couple of Youtube videos that I found of drunk drivers getting pulled over)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwxnt8CDsVA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu7BgI_nea0

The persuasive techniques that are used in the radio add every year is always in the message. "Driver sober or get pulled over." They also say that cops are out on the look out more this year. They say that they have had special training, and cops know what to look for. But, this is the same thing that they say every year. The technique is fear. It is to make people scared that they will get arrested if they go drink and drive. It is not a hidden fear at all. It is an obvious message. You will get pulled over and a DUI.
As I stated earlier, this message has failed. I think it has failed because it is the same message over and over again. But, people are still doing it every holiday. It makes people like me scared to drive on the road during holidays because I am afraid that I am going to get hit by a drunk driver. It is obvious that this is an issue, but they need to do something different to get the message across. Sadly, they are trying to make a change, and I can respect that. But,  it is a DUD in my opinion. 


Adidas (Pollution add)

http://creativity-online.com/work/adidasparley-cliff-dive/54945

This add was a women who dives off of cliffs, but it is much deeper than that. Listed above is the URL of the add. It is a beautiful video that captured the beauty of the oceans. It shows what goes into cliff diving, but there is a more important message here. It is about the trash that is within the oceans. This ad is trying to address the problem of the pollution within our oceans. It is about how we need to do something about the trash that is in our oceans.


















Target Audience
Everyone on this planet. I can't describe this on a deeper level. This is a problem that everyone is involved in. It is such a simple answer to such a big problem. When saying it like that, it is such a scary thing. Its a video that is trying to get everyone to care about the environment. It is a video that is capturing the beauty of everything around us. We should care, and it is so simple to just say it like that.


Persuasive techniques: Empathy, fear, compassion, seriousness, love, and honesty (emotional branding). I think there were several approaches during this video. It was calm, but yet it was so serious. It wasn't about bashing people for whats going on in our oceans, but its rather wanting people to care about it. It's getting people to care.





I think that this advertisement will work, and I think it may have already. It is a pretty recent video. It came out last month. It is a video by Adidas. It is a very well known brand. I think it is important because they took their brand, and they did something much greater with it. I think that this video will open the hearts of people to care more about out oceans. We need to care about our oceans. As long as the video change one person's heart, it made a difference. If it makes one person pick up trash, it made a difference. I think that was the goal here. I do not believe that video is a failure at all.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Thought For My Life (something deep that I wrote back in December) The first blog that I ever did when I let no one read. Please do read.

It is known that man-kind feels pain, love, anger, sadness, heartache, happiness, and the list can go on and on, but what makes a person different from another. Is it the color of their skin? Or is it because of their religion? Is it because of where they come from? What makes a person better than another person? Can someone answer something that I often ask? I often find myself around people who think they are better than another human. We label ourselves into a category to think we are better. But, why do we do this? No person ever wishes to feel belittled by another person because of a certain aspect about themselves. What about tattoos and piercings? Because the bible says it is a sin, it makes it wrong for a person to be who they are? A tattoo can have one for many significant meanings. Meanings that another person will never dare to understand. One of the tattoos on my body represents being raped and molested as a child. It is a reminder that I will never give up on my life, a
My life revolves around my two children. Don't mistake it because they are my children but yet dogs. Everyday I make decisions based on them. They are my world. Their names are Atlas and Talayla. My youngest is Atlas, and he is about 1 year and 4 months. He is the white one. Talayla is going to be turning 4 years old on July 8th. Her birthday is the day before mine.  My name is Sabrina, and I also go by Snowflake because I love to Snowboard. Due to an accident I don't do it anymore because I value my life. I am about to turn 26 on July 9th. I am going to school for a biology degree in hopes to help save endangered species one day. I am vegan, active, and live a healthy lifestyle. My life revolves around my dogs. We do outdoors stuff majority of the time, but school takes up a lot of my time. I do lots of hikes, school, and hang out with my dogs. I am most passionate about my animals, but I am also passionate about sharing my empathy for animals because I would

WEEK 8 MEDIA BLOG FORUM

TOPIC 1: BANNED BOOKS AND YOUR BOOKSHELF "To Kill a Mocking Bird." This was one of the books that I noticed on the banned list. It quickly struck my attention because I read this book during my 10th year of high school. I remember it being a very heart breaking story, and I think it also made me cry. If I am correct, I also had to write a paper on some of the passages. I think the point of reading this book was the ban on it. This book is placed in the time of the American history when racism was okay. Jim Crow laws was a horrific thing, and it also is not something that anyone should forget about it. I believe the ban on this book wasn't so much of the word choices used, but rather to try and erase the history. I don't believe it should be banned. Students should try to understand some of the things that people of color went through back then. To this day people still treat one another like crap, and this is an example of why we should be treating each other bette