Skip to main content

Topic 2 Forum Week One

When I write papers, the first three sources I go to is New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, and sometimes the Oregonian. I consider these to be reliable sources, and I have also found that The New York Times will correct mistakes. They also own up to their mistakes. I particularly like The New York Times more. I have sourced them for the last nine months being a student at LBCC. I have used them to source papers to do with empathy when it comes to animals. I have used them to write about the health risk when it comes to eating meat. I even used them to write my debate topics for COMM 114. I think they are reliable because what is written tends to align with other readings. It is nearly always that this happens. I have also been known to use the Harvard magazine to source things, but they are not my top three sources. It is just one that I use with essays as well. The New York Times always seems to know the hottest topics, and they always have something to say. 
I learned last term how to used the library data base as well. Someone taught me how to find the opposing view points, and it has helped me a lot for future assignments. It is a source that I will continue to use throughout my time at LBCC, and I think it is something that everyone should be taught. It is extremely helpful when trying to collect information on both sides.
I do want to note that I do not use Facebook anymore, because it is a way that people can harass others. I have been bullied on Facebook more then a few times. One person was even a family member. I am always fighting a good cause, but I do not believe that Facebook is a good place for that. It has pushed me to expand outside of the internet. Facebook is definitely not a place that I would ever want to get information. Most of the time I would never listen to people on there. I do not consider it to be reliable. It is also a place for politics.

 Everyone should research information before passing it along. I think that is one of the biggest mistakes people make. It has a rippling affect, and than others believe the same information. People are so quick to point figures, and this causes a threat to others when they believe everything on the internet is true. I am sure that we have all been there, so we can't shame everyone who makes this mistake. Research is the key when it comes to passing along information. We want to be able to back up information as much as possible. It should be handled the same way one when write a paper. I can't count how many times someone passed a hoax about a celebrity dying, and I was one of the many people who believed it. But hey, at least I can admit it and own it. I do get concerned about the information leaked because some of it is true. Some of it is not true at all. If people continue to spread fake news, others are going to figure it out. I think that is a slippery slop, because one day something very bad can happen. Perhaps, it is a major natural disaster, but people didn't believe it. I think that could potentially create more unnecessary death. It is important that people of morals. Its even more important for people to have a choice. They could use the media for a bad choice to spread fake news, or they can use it to spread the truth. It seems that more people want to cause problems by spreading fake news. Maybe one day people will stop doing this because it could save many lives. I won't usually pass on information unless I know it is true. There has been one occasion where I had a conversation with someone, and I knew exactly what I was talking about. No matter how many sources that I had the person believed their own brain. This is a problem when it comes to fake news, because what that person believed wasn't true at all. Everyone can do their part, and research information before passing it on. They should set the time aside to dig and dig before spreading news, and something else that could be helpful is researching what other countries are saying depending on how popular the topic is. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Thought For My Life (something deep that I wrote back in December) The first blog that I ever did when I let no one read. Please do read.

It is known that man-kind feels pain, love, anger, sadness, heartache, happiness, and the list can go on and on, but what makes a person different from another. Is it the color of their skin? Or is it because of their religion? Is it because of where they come from? What makes a person better than another person? Can someone answer something that I often ask? I often find myself around people who think they are better than another human. We label ourselves into a category to think we are better. But, why do we do this? No person ever wishes to feel belittled by another person because of a certain aspect about themselves. What about tattoos and piercings? Because the bible says it is a sin, it makes it wrong for a person to be who they are? A tattoo can have one for many significant meanings. Meanings that another person will never dare to understand. One of the tattoos on my body represents being raped and molested as a child. It is a reminder that I will never give up on my life, a

WEEK 8 MEDIA BLOG FORUM

TOPIC 1: BANNED BOOKS AND YOUR BOOKSHELF "To Kill a Mocking Bird." This was one of the books that I noticed on the banned list. It quickly struck my attention because I read this book during my 10th year of high school. I remember it being a very heart breaking story, and I think it also made me cry. If I am correct, I also had to write a paper on some of the passages. I think the point of reading this book was the ban on it. This book is placed in the time of the American history when racism was okay. Jim Crow laws was a horrific thing, and it also is not something that anyone should forget about it. I believe the ban on this book wasn't so much of the word choices used, but rather to try and erase the history. I don't believe it should be banned. Students should try to understand some of the things that people of color went through back then. To this day people still treat one another like crap, and this is an example of why we should be treating each other bette

MEDIA BLOG FORUM 2

I went with Instagram because it was something that I used to get on in the past. I do not use Twitter or Facebook. I did not even want to sign into Instagram. I used it to show makeup photos.  Things I followed  The New York Times (I use them as a source for all my papers, and I think it is reliable) The Wall Street Journal (I use them as a source for all my papers, and I think it is reliable) #Veganadvocate (Animals deserve equal rights as humans) Vegansoul  The most interesting thing I found was a picture of two pigs. You could only see their faces. It read "Think being vegan is difficult? Try being the one on the way to the slaughterhouse." The picture that I posted is not the one I found on Instagram. I found this one browsing on the internet.  "Why did that stand out to you?" It stood out to me for numerous reasons. One of the biggest reasons is simple, and it is that I care. The second reason is I hear hateful comments left and right of how b